Ayia Kyriaki Chrysopolitissa Church was built around 1500 AD as a Latin Church on the site of a small church which was destroyed in 59 AD by an earthquake. About 100 years after its construction and following the Turkish invasion of 1570, it became the Byzantine Cathedral of Kato (Lower) Paphos.
St. Paul and St. Barnabas visited Cyprus in 45 AD (Acts 13 verses 5-12) and converted the Roman proconsul Sergius Paulus and he became the first Christian ruler and Cyprus the first Christian country. Tradition has it that St. Paul was scourged in Paphos at the pillar near this church. This church is, therefore, often known as “The Church by St. Paul’s Pillar”.
By kind permission of Bishop Chrysostomos Metropolitan of Paphos, who is now the Archbishop of the Holy Orthodox Church in Cyprus, the Anglican Church and the Latin Church have use of this building with the continuing permission of Bishop George, his successor. We are extremely grateful to both for their generosity. The Orthodox Church still use this building for special occasions.
Ayia Kyriaki has a diocesan partner link to the Protestant Church in Oman.
8.15 am Holy Eucharist
6.00 pm Holy/Sung Eucharist
9.00 am Holy Eucharist
Subject to change depending on the season and other activities. For up-to-date information see the latest newsheet.